Saturday, June 13, 2009

Spiderman and The Gho

I could have chosen any incongruity. But, I love kids -- so I chose this one. The other day I saw this kid dressed up in his gho -- the traditional dress for men here (just google image it)...it's really really cool. He was on the back of his dad's motorcycle with his overladen Spiderman backpack. And, that's Thimphu. Take one thing from the West and one thing from Bhutan and throw them together. More than most places I have been, Thimphu straddles different worlds at every step -- and more than most places I have been, does so in a way that feels harmonious.

Young people aren't running away from their culture. They love their culture and know that it is something special. They are just creating hybridity. Take this one: The other day, I climbed the mountains behind Thimphu (next post.) On the way, these kids befriended me -- by kids, I mean 20ish. (Sigh.) One of them was just great...Tashi the LA thug. He had some innovative do-rag on and always had his hands ready to go into some rap song posture...straight up Cali Asian thug look. But. He and his friends were climbing the mountain on Para-Nirvana, the day the Buddha passed from the Earth, to pay reverence and make offerings in the monasteries. Never once did they pass a cairn or Chorten on the right and when they entered the monasteries, the put on their ghos, offered ghee and incense, and prostrated three times. So, in the words of a good friend...it is their Look. Behind the look, Bhutan's right there. Smiles are never far away here and t-shirts advertise that they don't cost anything.

I got this text message from one of the guys -- Pema Dorji (translation: Lotus Flower Thunderbolt)....what does your name mean? Decision: if I have a kid, they get a kickass Bhutanese name like that. Pema sent me this message: "Hey, Mr. Thomas, Everytin fine, Touch ur heart, close ur eyes, make a wish, say gudnite, sky so wide,, stars so bright, off the light,, n sleep tight." Hmm. I don't get a message like that from a brand new friend every day. Especially one that likes girls. This place is very very cool. I hope they know that.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your story, Kids also love you so it's reciprocal. Harmony is a big word in this culture, so I hope you will write more on this facinating topic.

    Bady

    ReplyDelete